COVID-19 Surveillance Testing:
SPUSD Update – Sep.23, 2021
COVID-19 Weekly Surveillance Testing Dear SPUSD Families & Employees,
If you are interested in participating in the weekly COVID-19 surveillance testing on Tuesdays from 3:15-6:15 p.m. at South Pasadena Middle School, please register by the Friday night deadline of 11:59 p.m.
Please continue to arrive for testing by following the schedule below, as this reduces the wait times for all participants. Vehicles may not enter the parking lot for testing until 3:15 p.m.
- If your last name begins with A-G, please arrive between 3:15-4:15 p.m.
- If your last name begins with H-M, please arrive between 4:15-5:15 p.m.
- If your last name begins with N-Z, please arrive between 5:15-6:00 p.m.
Here is the link to sign up: https://hipaa.jotform.com/212005922364144
This link remains the same from week to week.
If you do not receive the emailed test results by Thursday evening, you may either email Lori Larkins at llarkins@PacTox.com or CovidSupport@PacTox.com or you may call her at (818) 678-4445. Please know that our District Nurse, Abby Silver, monitors the results database regularly and will contact any positive patients immediately. During online registration, please make sure to input “South Pasadena Unified School District” as the “Organization/Entity’s name.” Failure to complete this step may cause your results to be delayed and/or not communicated.
In order to maximize the safety of our students leaving after school, do not arrive for testing prior to 3:15 p.m. If you are both picking up your middle school student and having him/her tested, you must exit the parking lot after pick-up and return for testing at 3:15 p.m. Waiting in the parking lot/testing queue prior to 3:15 p.m is not permitted. This is a drive-thru event only.
If the queue extends onto Fair Oaks Avenue, we ask that participants enter the parking lot by driving west on Oak Street and making a right turn onto Fair Oaks Avenue into the coned-off lane on the far right side. See below for a repeat of the additional related testing information.
Assistant Superintendent of Business Services
South Pasadena Unified School District has partnered with Pacific Toxicology Laboratories to offer optional, weekly COVID-19 surveillance testing to TK-12 students and District employees at no cost to patients. Please make a note of the weekly testing schedule and add it to your calendar. You also may always access the registration information through the SPUSD website.
How does the testing process work?
Every Tuesday between 3:15-6:15 p.m., employees and students have the opportunity to be tested for COVID-19 in a drive-thru format at the middle school parking lot. Within approximately 48 hours, parents/employees will receive an email with a secure link to the test results. The results also will be sent to the SPUSD COVID-19 Compliance Officer/District Nurse, Abby Silver.
If I am interested in participating (employees) or having my SPUSD student participate, how do I get started?
In order to sign up for this testing service, you must complete the registration process in its entirety each time you (or your child) would like to be tested. Registration must be completed by 11:59 p.m. each Friday in order to participate in the following Tuesday’s test date. Please use this link to register:
- Once you have successfully completed the registration process, you will receive a confirmation email from Pacific Toxicology Laboratories.
- This is a PCR mouth swab test.
- Families with more than one child testing must register each child separately.
- Medical insurance information is required as part of the registration process. If students do not have insurance coverage, they may still be tested; however, they need to provide their social security number or copy of their California ID during the registration process.
- If you are registering your child, be certain to use your child’s name and medical insurance information, not the parent’s name and information.
- The program requires a minimum number of participants. Continued services are dependent upon whether families and employees are using the service.
- When registering, indicate “South Pasadena Unified School District” as the “Organization/Entity’s name.”
- The test requires that participants do not eat or drink 15 minutes prior to the mouth swab.
Is registration required every week?
Yes. If you would like to be tested, registration is required on a weekly basis.
Can parents or community members use this service?
No. This service is for SPUSD students and employees only.
Should we use this service if we are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms?
If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, please monitor your symptoms closely and do not come to school if you are showing symptoms of infectious illness. Seek guidance from your personal physician or your school health clerk. This optional, drive-thru testing resource is provided for surveillance testing only, with registration completed four (4) days in advance.
If you have additional questions about this new option for COVID-19 surveillance testing, please contact District Nurse Abby Silver at firstname.lastname@example.org.